Skip to content

On-Campus Employment

International students cannot work without legal authorization. You are eligible to work on-campus only during the first year in F-1 status. After you have completed one full year of academic study (two semesters), you may also apply for immigration permission to work off-campus in a position related to the major indicated on your I-20. However, you must obtain specific employment permission from the Center for Global Engagement or U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to accept any off-campus employment, even if it is for a co-operative education or internship experience required for completion of your degree. Any unlawful employment may jeopardize your eligibility for future USCIS benefits such as Practical Training and adjustment to other types of non-immigrant or immigrant status.

  • F-1 academic students in status are allowed to work on-campus up to 20 hours per week while school is in session and 40 hours a week during school breaks (if available).
  • Students should not rely upon on-campus employment to fund their studies or contribute substantially to their finances.
  • On-campus employment opportunities are limited and not guaranteed.

On-campus employment is facilitated through the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office. Find out more about ECC on-campus jobs.