Skip to content

Sign Language Interpreting and Captioning

Interpreter in classroom aiding a student as the instructor speaks.

The Student Access and Disability Service office arranges for sign language interpreting and captioning services for qualified students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing.

New Student Registration

If you are new to ECC and need a sign language interpreter or captionist for classes, tutoring, and/or other college activities:

  1. Apply to Elgin Community College (ECC).
  2. Wait to receive your ECC ID via email after completing your ECC application.
  3. If you have a disability in these areas, please complete the Student Access and Disabilities Services Registration Form.
  4. Provide required documentation
  5. After you've submitted the form, our Administrative Assistant will email your ECC student email account to schedule an intake appointment via phone, virtual meeting, or on campus. Questions? Call 847-214-7717 or email

Returning Students

If you are already registered with the ECC Student Access & Disability Services office and need a sign language interpreter or captionist for classes, tutoring, and/or other college activities:

  1. Complete the request form.
  2. Log in using your ECC username and password.
  3. On the left-hand side, click on Deaf and Hard of Hearing.
  4. On the top right-hand side, click on Custom Requests.
  5. Complete the form with all the necessary information.

ADA/Section 504 Compliance

Elgin Community College complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 to ensure that no students, employees, visitors, or other beneficiaries of the ADA encounter discrimination on the basis of their disability. All college facilities, services, and programs must be accessible to students, employees, and visitors with disabilities unless doing so would be an undue burden to the college. ECC can provide reasonable accommodations to qualified students with disabilities for successful entrance into and completion of courses, but students should note that the college is not required to, nor should it, compromise on program admissions or essential course requirements. Qualified students with disabilities must contact the Student Access and Disabilities Services Office to request reasonable accommodations.

Report an Accessibility Barrier

Report a physical barrier to access, a general incident, or discrimination because of your disability.

File a Report


Student Access and Disability Services

Building B, Room B105/B125
Fax: 847-608-5479

Contact Us

Monday through Thursday: 8 am to 5 pm
Friday: 8 am to 4 pm