Student Access and Disability Services

Image of student participating at campus event

Services for students with disabilities.

Make an Appointment

Elgin Community College's Student Access and Disabilities Services Office supports student success and retention through various opportunities and accommodations. The office also advocates for a universally accessible environment in which physical, electronic, and social barriers are reduced, and students with disabilities have an equal opportunity to succeed.

Our Mission

We aim to cultivate an inclusive campus and learning environment, facilitate access for students with disabilities, and recognize disability from diverse perspectives.

There are many disabilities for which students may request accommodations. If you are unsure if your disability falls within any of the above-listed areas, please contact us, and we can discuss possible services for you. 

Student Disabilities Services Registration

New to Student Disabilities Services

If you have never met with a specialist within our office and need to schedule an intake appointment to discuss accommodations, please follow these steps as soon as possible:

  1. Apply to Elgin Community College (ECC).
  2. Wait to receive your ECC ID via email after completing your ECC application.
  3. If you have a disability in these areas, please complete the Student Access and Disabilities Services Registration Form.
  4. Provide required documentation
  5. After you've submitted the form, our Administrative Assistant will email your ECC student email account to schedule an intake appointment via phone, virtual meeting, or on campus. Questions? Call 847-214-7717 or email

Registration Form

Returning Students

If you are already an ECC student and have received accommodation services in the past at ECC, you need to request services each semester so that we may notify your instructors about your accommodations. Follow these steps as soon as possible (and preferably before the semester begins):

  1. Complete the Accommodation Request Form.
  2. Log in using your ECC username and password.
  3. Select the accommodations you need for your classes.
  4. Click submit.

Request Form

Types of Accommodations

Reasonable accommodations are designed to provide equal access to students with disabilities. These are determined on an individual basis; therefore, not all accommodations are appropriate for every student. Accommodations may include, but are not limited to:

  • Accessible formats of text and materials*
  • Accessible furniture
  • Adaptive computer hardware/software
  • Assistive technology devices*
  • Captionists*
  • Extended test time/quiet testing area
  • Extensions on assignments
  • Flexibility in attendance
  • Note-takers/recording devices
  • Preferential seating
  • Sign language interpreters*
  • Test readers/scribes

Please get in touch with the Student Access and Disabilities Services Office at least 6 weeks before the start of the semester to give us time to implement.

Request Sign Language Interpreting and Captioning Services

Request Services

Apply to be a Peer Notetaker

Notetaker Application

Student Rights and Responsibilities

Students registered with the Student Access and Disabilities Services Office have rights.

Learn about your rights

ADA/Section 504 Compliance
Elgin Community College complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 to ensure that no students, employees, visitors, or other beneficiaries of the ADA encounter discrimination on the basis of their disability. All college facilities, services, and programs must be accessible to students, employees, and visitors with disabilities unless doing so would be an undue burden to the college. ECC can provide reasonable accommodations to qualified students with disabilities for successful entrance into and completion of courses, but students should note that the college is not required to, nor should it, compromise on program admissions or essential course requirements. Qualified students with disabilities must contact the Student Access and Disabilities Services Office to request reasonable accommodations.