American Grands 29
Join our ECC Musical Theatre and Theatre Audition List.
The American Grands at Elgin Community College is a premier music event that allows aspiring musicians to demonstrate their skills on one of the world's most iconic instruments - the grand piano. This event is open to the public, and there's a 35-dollar per performer participation fee to be part of American Grands.
Performers range in age from early elementary school to adult. The American Grands is an event you won't want to miss in January. With a supportive audience and stunning grand pianos, the American Grands provides the perfect platform for you to showcase your musical talent.
American Grands 29 - January 20, 2024
You must read all of this information in order to apply.
You are invited to join other local musicians in the performance of American Grands 29 on Saturday, January 20, 2024, at the Elgin Community College (ECC) Arts Center. We will present this music extravaganza on grand pianos from Cordogan’s Pianoland, showcasing both classical and popular music in arrangements for multiple pianos. Colin Holman will be conducting.
American Grands Participation Fee
In order to ease the music distribution process and offset production costs, American Grands charges a $35 per performer participation fee instead of charging individually for music. This fee can be paid online or in person with cash, credit, or check. Information on paying this fee will be included in the Acceptance Letter sent in September. Please pay the participation fee before the music pick-up date (Oct. 12th).
Rehearsals & Performances
Performances will be held in the ECC Arts Center’s Blizzard Theatre. Rehearsals will take place in Building K room 163 and the Blizzard Theater.
The rehearsal and performance schedule is as follows:
- Saturday, January 6 (Levels 1-4)
- Sunday, January 7 (Levels 5 – Teacher/Performer)
- Tuesday, January 16 (Levels 1-4)
- Wednesday, January 17 (Levels 5 – Teacher/Performer)
- Thursday, January 18 (Levels 1-4)
- Friday, January 19 from (Levels 5 – Teacher/Performer)
- Performances: Saturday, January 20 Performance Times TBD
Please check your child’s school winter break schedule before registering for this event. Rehearsals for each level are typically 15-20 minutes long. You will be given a specific time for the rehearsal of your assigned piece(s) when you pick up your music. It is mandatory that all performers attend all three assigned rehearsals, but not for the full duration of each, as well as assigned performances. Performers may be required to play in two concerts.
Performance Level Guidelines
In order to clearly identify a performance level, please consult with your teacher about your level. Please note that performers do not necessarily advance to a new level every year. DO NOT place yourself or your student at a level in which they cannot perform competently. We will again provide a performance opportunity for beginning students at the Early Elementary Level. Students must be at least six years old and read on the musical staff.
Teachers: You must use this method below for your evaluation. No other method will be accepted.
|Level||Faber & Faber Piano Adventures|
|Early Elementary (EE)||Primer|
|Elementary (E)||Level 1|
|Late Elementary (LE)||Level 2A/2B|
|Early Intermediate (EI)||Level 3A/3B|
|Intermediate (I-4)||Level 4|
|Intermediate (I-5)||Level 5|
|Late Intermediate (LI)||Level 6|
|Early Advanced (EA)||Level 6 +|
|Advanced/Teacher/Professional||Beyond Level 6 +|
How to Apply
- The application can be found below.
- Please be sure that all applications are filled out completely, correctly, and clearly.
- All fields must be completed, including correct teacher information. Email is our primary form of contact with teachers so we need this information to be accurate. Please check with your teacher to make sure their information is correct.
- Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Your name will appear on the poster as you enter it on the electronic application. Be sure to use correct capitalization. (i.e. “John Doe” not “john doe”)
- You can check elgin.edu/americangrands for schedules and information after being accepted.
All applications must be received by Friday, September 1, 2023.
Acceptance & Music Pick-Up
Applicants who have been accepted will be notified by email by the second week of September.
Performers must pick up their music in the main lobby of the ECC Arts Center (located in Building H of Elgin Community College) on Thursday, October 12, from 3:00-8:00 pm. This will be your final opportunity to verify the correct spelling of your name for the poster.
Your commitment includes the following:
- Pay the $35 participation fee.
- Pick up and prepare your music.
- Attend all assigned rehearsals and performances.
- Arrive at rehearsals 20 minutes prior to your designated time.
- Agree to allow Elgin Community College to photograph/document this performance for archival and not-for-profit promotional use and to release your name and photo for promotional purposes.
Performance attire is formal. This concert is a chance to dress up and look your best! However, please make sure your clothing and shoes will allow you to move and sit on stage with comfort and confidence, especially if you are playing on an elevated piano.
No nail polish, tips, acrylics, or dips, please! Natural nails only!
- Young musicians: Either a colorful formal dress (knee-length or longer- no short dresses!) OR black dress pants, black dress shoes, black socks, white shirt, and bow tie.
- Adult musicians: Either a colorful formal dress (long or tea-length) OR a tuxedo or black suit with a bowtie.
Please wait to purchase tickets until you pick up your music packet on October 12 and know your performance time. Ticket prices are $26 for adults and $17 for children under 12 (applicable fees are included in this price).