The Accounting Program at Elgin Community College provides the skills to understand, record, and analyze financial and managerial transactions.
The two-year business degree prepares you to meet today's business demands or transfer to an accounting program at a university. Learn about accounting transactions, terminology, key ratios, required schedules, tax laws, and computerized accounting programs. You'll also develop broad-based business skills by studying economics, business law, communication concepts, business concepts, and math applications for business. Additional study options include cost accounting, personal finance, supply chain management, and statistics.
Study bookkeeping to meet the demands of today's businesses. At ECC, prepare a bookkeeping vocational certificate covering the entire accounting cycle and the manual and computerized recording of basic financial transactions. Office technology skills include QuickBooks Online, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access databases, payroll principles, general business knowledge, and skills. Additional areas of study include management, economics, and speech.
Get additional information, including course listings and course descriptions.
Planning to Transfer? Learn more about earning a Bachelor’s degree, earning summer credits for transfer, or dual admissions with a university by making an appointment with an academic advisor.
Prepare for Immediate Employment
The future employment outlook for accounting is positive. Growth is driven by the increasing complexity of financial regulations and the need for organizations to comply with them. Additionally, as businesses continue to expand and globalize, there will be a greater need for accountants to help them manage their finances. Overall, the demand for accountants and auditors is expected to remain strong in the future. Refer to Career Coach for more information regarding related occupations and compensation.
What jobs can you get with an Accounting Degree?
An accounting degree can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including positions such as:
- Accountant: Accountants are responsible for maintaining and analyzing financial records, preparing financial reports, and ensuring compliance with tax laws. They may work for businesses, governments, or individuals.
- Auditor: Auditors are responsible for examining and verifying financial records to ensure accuracy and compliance with laws and regulations. They may work for public accounting firms, government agencies, or private businesses.
- Financial Analyst: Financial analysts are responsible for analyzing financial data and making recommendations to management on investment decisions and financial strategy. They may work for investment firms, banks, or corporations.
- Tax Accountant: Tax accountants are responsible for preparing and filing tax returns for individuals and businesses. They may also provide tax planning and advice to clients.
- Budget Analyst: Budget analysts are responsible for analyzing and preparing budgets for government agencies, non-profit organizations, or businesses. They may also help monitor and control spending.
- Financial Manager: Financial managers are responsible for managing an organization's financial resources, including budgeting, forecasting, and investment decisions. They may work for private businesses, government agencies, or non-profit organizations.
- Controller: Controllers are responsible for overseeing an organization's financial operations, including accounting, budgeting, and financial reporting. They may work for private businesses, government agencies, or non-profit organizations.
- Risk Manager: Risk managers are responsible for identifying and assessing risks to an organization's financial stability and developing strategies to mitigate those risks. They may work for banks, insurance companies, or other financial institutions.
Keep in mind that some of these positions may require additional certifications or experience.
Learn more about the Accounting department at ECC!
Earning an Associate Degree at Elgin Community College can set your career in motion.Apply today