Establishing a Safe Campus
Elgin Community College is committed to student success. The safety of all campus members is paramount to the success of ECC’s students. ECC’s Emergency Management is responsible for coordinating ECC’s preparedness, response, recovery, and mitigation of all hazards that may impact the college. ECC Emergency Management maintains the Campus Emergency Operations Plan, runs safety drills, coordinates responses, and provides preparedness resources to the campus community.
Reporting an Emergency
If while on campus, you become aware of an emergency, are the victim of a crime, receive a threat of violence, witness a crime, witness suspicious activity or accident, or come upon a crime scene or accident, call immediately:
- 911 – Police, Fire, or Medical emergency. or 7777 - for ECC Police Department from a college phone
- 847-214-7777 - for ECC police from a cell phone
- Please refer to ECC Police Department’s page for more information on reporting an emergency.
For reporting Sex Discrimination, Sexual Misconduct, and Interpersonal Violence, refer to Title IX.
- Student crisis services can be found at Student Wellness Services.
- Employee crisis service can be found in Employees Assistance Program.
- 211 is the number to call when you don’t know who to call in times of crisis or everyday need. Taking a situation through with a trained specialist may find the help you never knew existed. 211 is a free, confidential, 24/7/365 information and referral helpline connecting individuals and families to available health and human services.
If a utility failure (electrical, gas, water) occurs, call the ECC Operations and Maintenance Department at 847-214-7246 or the ECC Police Department at extension 7777.
When classes and events are canceled, here’s how you may receive notifications.
- A notification posted on the elgin.edu home page.
- Rave Alerts (Elgin Community College Emergency Alert System).
- Online at Emergency Closing Center.
Notifications will be sent in the most appropriate way to notify the affected campus community members.
Campus Emergency Operations Plan
The Campus Emergency Operations Plan (CEOP) describes the system that will be used by Elgin Community College (ECC) to prepare for, protect from, mitigate against, respond to, and recover from significant incidents on campus. It is adopted by the ECC Board every three years and is a board-level policy. It is maintained and updated by ECC’s Emergency Management to maintain best practices based on a continuous improvement program.
Download the Campus Emergency Operations Plan - PDF
It is the responsibility of everyone on campus to be familiar with personal protective actions they can take during emergencies. ECC’s Emergency Management will provide drills, posters around campus, and special training opportunities to reinforce these protective actions. Anyone part of the campus community should engage in all opportunities to learn and practice these protective actions.
COVID Response on Campus
On January 4, 2023, the COVID Response Team (CRT) closed its operations after over two years of work. The CRT handled hundreds of case investigations, provided timely guidance to employees and students, and updated the college on many changes to COVID guidance, from pre-vaccination guidance to bivalent boosters. Emergency Management will still monitor any changes or new risks associated with COVID, just like all other hazards and threats to the college.
If you have questions about isolation and exposure, use the CDC COVID-19 Isolation and Exposure Calculator.
For questions related to COVID isolation and sick leave, please reach out to the appropriate group:
- Employees: Email HR's Benefits team at StaffLiaison@elgin.edu.
- Students: Email the Dean of Students at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For any archived documents from ECC's COVID response, email the Sr. Director of Emergency Management Emily Kies at Ekies@elgin.edu.